It is difficult to imagine a worse pick than Jason Brune for DEC commissioner. He has spent the last two decades advocating for virtually every mining project in Alaska. He was literally the spokesman for the Pebble Mine.
- Jason Brune has spent the bulk of his career working for mining companies or their advocacy groups.
- 11 years as executive director of the Resources Development Council, a mining group.
- 3 years as spokesman for the Pebble Mine
- Board member of Alaska Miners Association
- Ran a mining industry PAC to spend corporate money in Alaska elections
- He was not honest in the Senate Resources Committee. He said he has not made his mind up yet on Pebble. He has. He has repeatedly said he favors the mine.
- He has been extremely pro-Pebble on social media.
- He is simply not neutral. He cannot be a fair decision-maker on Pebble.
- Because he has spent his entire career in industry, he will probably do that again when he leaves. He shouldn’t be auditioning for his next mining job while he is issuing mining permits.
New study shows bear viewing industry supports nearly 500 jobs and more than $34 million in sales annually See Report Summary here & Full Report here. We’re getting tired talking about what a stupid idea it is to put a giant, toxic hole in the headwaters of the world’s greatest sockeye fishery. We’ve grown uncomfortably […]
A Payday for Washington, A Scam for Alaskans In a new report, Cook Inletkeeper details the increasing scale of lobby expenditures by the Pebble Partnership to influence the timeline and approval of their inadequate scoping and rushed permit applications. Just two days ago The Pebble Partnership hired the man Politico called the “most powerful lobbyist in Trump’s Washington”, fitting evidence in the unfolding story […]
The Alaska Miners Association (AMA) is trying to buy Alaska’s most spectacular water resources. And they want them for the bargain basement price of $60,000. That’s how much the AMA is paying veteran Juneau lobbyist Kent Dawson to put a stake through the heart of the process to designate and protect Alaska’s most important water […]
Court Dismisses Pebble’s Bogus Effort to Silence Fishermen Dunleavy Administration Wastes State Money on Frivolous Lawsuit In April we wrote about Pebble’s ham-fisted attempts to silence Bristol Bay fishermen with a frivolous lawsuit (see below). Today, the Alaska Superior Court agreed that Pebble’s lawsuit had absolutely no merit, and it dismissed the case. If you’ve […]
If you’re a semi-conscious Alaskan, you probably know by now the billionaire Koch brothers have their hands around the throat of democracy in the Last Frontier. You may recall how the Koch Brother’s front groups – the Alaska Policy Forum, Power the Future, and Americans for Prosperity- Alaska Chapter – waged an out-and-out war to […]